The legal basis for studying without an Abitur is Section 70 of the Thuringian Higher Education Act of May 10, 2018 (GVBl. p. 149), as amended by Article 27 of the Act of June 6, 2018 (GVBl. p. 229).
(1) Vocationally qualified persons without a university entrance qualification who have successfully completed at least two years of vocational training in a field related to the intended course of study, as regulated by federal or state law, and who subsequently provide evidence of at least three years of full-time professional practice in a field related to the intended course of study, may take up a course of study on a probationary basis for a period of at least one to a maximum of two semesters. At the end of the trial study period, the university decides whether the student has passed the trial study period and on the subject semester classification on the basis of the performance achieved during the study period according to sentence 1; the performance achieved during the study period according to sentence 1 is credited. The trial study must be preceded by comprehensive counseling by the university. The universities shall regulate the details of the studies according to sentence 1, the admission requirements and the achievements to be made during these studies within the framework of their statutes.
(2) Vocationally qualified persons without a higher education entrance qualification who have completed vocational education and training and have been employed full-time for at least three years shall also be entitled to study in a specific course of study if they pass an entrance examination. The details of the entrance examination, in particular
- for which courses of study entrance examinations are admitted,
- the form and content of the examinations to be taken,
- the composition of the examination board and the appointment of examiners for the individual parts of the examination, and
- the examination procedure
shall be regulated by each institution of higher education for its courses of study within the framework of its statutes.
(3) In derogation of Section 67, Paragraph 1, Sentence 1, No. 4, in exceptional cases to be defined by the university, applicants who have only completed vocational training and have several years of professional experience may also be admitted to a master's degree course providing further education; vocational training and experience must be related to the intended course of study. Within the framework of an aptitude test, applicants must prove a level of knowledge that corresponds to that of a first university degree relevant to the intended course of study. Further details are regulated by the universities within the framework of their statutes.
The Council of the University of Applied Sciences adopted the "Statutes regulating probationary studies at Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences" on 16.07.2014.
- Statutes (published in the Official Announcements of the University of Applied Sciences, issue 11/2014).
- 1st amendment of the statutes (published in the Official Announcements of Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences, issue 1/2016).
- 2nd amendment of the statutes (published in the Official Announcements of Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences, issue 8/2019).
The General Student Advisory Service of Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences offers counseling sessions on probationary studies by appointment.
Please bring the following documents to the counseling appointment:
- School leaving certificate
- Certificate of vocational training
- employment contract
- qualified employer's reference
- curriculum vitae
The interview will be recorded and the original will be handed over to the interested party. A copy of this protocol is to be attached to the application documents and is only valid for applications to Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences.
The counseling interview will take place at Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences. You can make an appointment with
phone: 03631 420 220