Documents and Formalities

Organising your stay in Germany means a lot of formalities and bureaucracy to deal with. If you approach them in the right order, you can avoid having to go back two or three times.

Detailed information for preparing your stay can also be found at

Before your arrival

1. Application

First of all you should apply at the University of Applied Sciences Nordhausen, because an admission letter is needed for your visa application. Click here to find out more about our application process.

2. Visa

When you have received the admission letter from our university, you can apply for a student visa.

Students who are citizens of an EU / EEA country do not need a visa. All that is required to enter Germany is a valid identity card or passport. These regulations do also refer to some other countries. Please look at the Federal Foreign Office's page to get more information about visa requirements for citizens from your country.

All other students need to apply for a visa at the German Embassy or German Consulate in their countries of residence. The adresses can be found on the page of the Federal Foreign Office. The processing of your visa application can take some weeks or even months, so please hand in your application as early as possible.

3. Apartment

Before your departure you should organise a student room or a small flat in Germany. Some useful information on how to find a room in Nordhausen can be found in the section "Apartment" on the page Student (life) in Nordhausen.

After your arrival

1. International Office

Immediately after your arrival in Nordhausen you should inform the International Office of the University of Applied Sciences Nordhausen about your arrival. The International Office can help you with all questions concerning your stay in Nordhausen.

2. Tenancy Agreement

Subsequently, to be able to move into your room, you should go to your tenant and sign your tenancy agreement. In case you have made a reservation in the student hall, please contact the Studierendenwerk Thüringen.

3. Health Insurance

At their enrolment all students in Germany are asked to show proof of their health insurance. Therefore you should check whether the health insurance from your home country is valid in Germany. If this is not the case, please take out a local health insurance.

In any case you need to have a document proving your health insurance.

Detailed information can be found here.

Health insurance companies in Nordhausen:

Rautenstr. 8/8a
99734 Nordhausen

Bahnhofstr. 18
99734 Nordhausen

Rautenstr. 36
99734 Nordhausen

Bahnhofstr. 22
99734 Nordhausen

Vor dem Hagentor 5
99734 Nordhausen

4. Bank Account

Next you should go to a bank and open a current account. Usually this is free if charge for students. The account will help you to manage regular payments such as your lease or your health insurance. Moreover you can take out money at no charge in many places in Germany.

Your first transaction should be the transfer of the semester contribution. Do not forget to take a payment document that you can show at your enrolment.

5. Enrolment

Before you can start your degree course at the University of Applied Sciences Nordhausen, you have to enrol at the Student Service Center.

For your enrolment please bring the following documents:

  • Admission letter from the University of Applied Sciences Nordhausen
  • Completed Thoska form (you have received the form with your admission letter)
  • Passport photo
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Payment document (semester contribution)

Please find the deadlines for enrolment here.

6. Residents' Registration Office

Within one week after having moved into your room/flat, you should register at the Residents' Registration Office in Nordhausen. Please bring your passport and your tenancy agreement.

Residents' Registration Office ("Bürgerservice")
Neues Rathaus
Markt 15
99734 Nordhausen

7. Residence Permit

The visa for entering Germany is valid for three months. Within these three months all international students of the UNiversity of Applied Sciences Nordhausen have to apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Office.

Please bring the following documents:

  • Passport or identity card
  • Registration document from the residents' registration office (see 6.)
  • Two passport photographs
  • Student registration with intended duration of study (can be printed on Qispos)
  • Proof of health insurance (see 3.)
  • Proof of financial resources

The Foreigners' Office can be found in the District Office building:
Landratsamt Nordhausen - Fachgebiet Ausländer- und Personenstandswesen

Behringstraße 3
99734 Nordhausen

8. Work Permit (if necessary)

Citizens from EU/EEA countries do not need a work permit. They have the same rights as German citizens.

Students from other countries holding a residence permit for study purposes, are allowed to work 120 days per year (or 240 "half" days - which means not more than 4 hours per day). If you wish to work more than this, you need a work permit from the Foreigners' Office (see 7. Residence Permit). The 120-days-rule does not apply to compulsory trainings/internships and student or research assistant jobs.