Important formalities for studies in Nordhausen

Before, during and after your studies, you will need to take care of a number of formalities. The most important things are listed and summarised here.

Practical, detailed information on preparing for your stay in Germany can also be found in our Welcome Guide and at

Steps after admission and before entry into Germany

1. Visa

We recommend that you inform yourself about the student visa application process, the required documents and appointment waiting times at the responsible visa office as early as possible, as visa processing and issuance can take several months. Our university does not have any influence in the visa process and also cannot speed up the process in any way.

Once you have received your acceptance letter from the university, you can start organising a visa.

No visa is required for students with citizenship of an EU/EEA country. All you need is a valid identity card or passport. This also applies to some other countries. Contact the Federal Foreign Office to find out whether you are able to enter Germany without a visa.

All other students need to apply for a visa at the German Embassy or Consulate General in their country of residence. The addresses are listed on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.

2. Proof of sufficient funds

All students who require a visa to study in Germany must prove that they have sufficient financial means (currently ) to cover all costs associated with studying and living in Germany. Currently a minimum amount of 934 Euros per month / 11,208 Euros per year is required. 

A proof must be provided when applying for the visa at the German diplomatic mission / consulate abroad.

You have the following options:

  • a deposit on a blocked bank account
    A limited selection of blocked account providers: CoracleDropmoney, Expatrio, Fintiba
  • proof of your parents’ income
  • financial guarantee from a person with permanent residence in Germany
  • bank surety
  • a recognised scholarship

3. Admission and Enrolment

The admission letter and in some cases an enrolment certificate are the most crucial documents to obtain a student visa.

After you obtained the letter of admission you first need to formally accept your study seat and start the enrolment process in the university's HISinOne-portal.

Please accept your admission and start the enrolment process only, if you are able to receive your visa and arrive in Germany before the semester starts! It is not possible to defer admissions or support students with their visa application or in case of any visa problems.

You are only enrolled after you completed the enrolment process in the portal and paid the semester fee.

Please watch the following video for instructions and further information:

4. Looking and applying for accommodation

You should start looking for a room or an apartment in Nordhausen even before you leave for Germany. For tips and links, go to the section on “Accommodation” on the webpage Living and studying in Nordhausen.

5. Plan your journey to Nordhausen

You can find futher information and instructions how to get to Nordhausen and the university here.

Please also note and consider the following:

  1. the latest arrival time at German airports, so that your onward journey and arrival in Nordhausen on the same day is still possible.
  2. buses or trains may be delayed or canceled. If possible, take an earlier connection and plan with a buffer of 1-2 hours.
  3. even if you have already found and secured accommodation, you might still search and book or at least save some temporary accomodation options (e.g. hotel, a friend's or relative's place in Germany etc.) in case any problems or unforeseen circumstances occur. In general, it is not possible to hand over the keys/ move in on public holidays/ weekends and after 3 pm on working days. 

Kindly note that the International Office can't individually support or help students on short notice. We recommend that you register for our buddy programme and ask your buddy for advice or support.

After entry into Germany

1. Tenancy agreement

Please personally meet with your landlord and sign the tenancy agreement after you carefully checked it.. If you got a room in the student hall of residence, you will need to contact the housing manager of Studierendenwerk Thüringen (student services) for this. In both cases you will receive the signed tenancy agreement along with a confirmation of your residency address. This document is needed for submission at the residence registration office (check 6. on this page).

2. Pick-up your Student Card (thoska) / Update of Contact Details

You can pick up your student card (thoska) approx. two weeks before the start of each semester during the service hours of our Student-Service-Centre (SSZ) in building 18, 1st floor (check Campus Map).

At the same time, the Student-Service-Centre will ask you about your German address and any other documents or details we need from you. 

Please regularly check the information for first-semester students for any updates and make sure that you attend the introduction week of the university, which takes place in the first week of each semester.
There will be further explanations and instructions about how to enrol in the courses, how to use the student learning platform Moodle, exam registration etc.

3. Health insurance

Anyone studying in Germany has to provide proof of health insurance when they enrol. The first thing you need to do here is check whether the health insurance from your home country will also cover you in Germany. If not, you will have to take out German health insurance. Students over the age of 30 cannot be insured by German statuory health insurance and must take one from private providers. For further information, check this page or this page.

Whatever the case, you are obliged to provide a proof of health insurance  to the Student-Service-Centre (SSZ).
Students with statuory health insurance can request their provider to send the insurance certificate electronically to the university (so-called "M10-report")

IMPORTANT: If you fail to provide proof of your health insurance status, the Student Service Center (SSZ) has to exmatriculate you (=cancel your enrolment).

The following health insurance companies have branches in Nordhausen:

Rautenstr. 8/8a
99734 Nordhausen

Bahnhofstr. 18
99734 Nordhausen

Bahnhofstr. 19c
99734 Nordhausen

Rautenstr. 36
99734 Nordhausen

Bahnhofstr. 22
99734 Nordhausen

Vor dem Hagentor 5
99734 Nordhausen

4. Open a Checking Account

Opening a German checking account will have many advantage and is normally free of charge for students. This account can then be used to make all your regular payments such as your rent or health insurance. You will also be able to withdraw cash from your account free of charge in many places across Germany.

5. Residence registration and Application for residence permit

Residence registration:

Once you have a fixed address, you are obliged to register at the residents’ registration office
(German: Einwohnermeldeamt Nordhausen - Bürgerservices) within two weeks after moving into your accommodation in Nordhausen.

The following documents are required:

You can either send the documents via mail to the following address:
Neues Rathaus
Markt 15
99734 Nordhausen
OR send the documents scanned via E-mail.

Application for residence permit:

Entry visas for Germany are initially only valid for three to six months. Students must apply for a longer-term residence permit from the relevant immigration authority before the visa expires.

The relevant immigration authority for Nordhausen is part of the district administration office
(German: Landratsamt Nordhausen - Fachgebiet Ausländerwesen):

Address: Behringstraße 3, 99734 Nordhausen
Telephone: +49 3631 911-3100
Web: Landratsamt Nordhausen
Office hours

The following documents are required and can be submitted personally during the office hours or electronically via E-mail (recommended):

  • filled application form
  • Passport
  • Visa page
  • Confirmation of residence registration from the relevant authorities (see 6. Registering with the authorities)
  • Two passport photos
  • Certificate of student status with expected duration of studies (can be downloaded from QISPOS system)
  • Proof of health insurance (see 3. Health insurance)
  • Proof of sufficient financial resources


6. Work permit

Students with EEA/EU citizenship do not normally need a work permit since they have the same rights as German citizens. 

The following applies to students from other countries whose residence permit was issued for the purpose of studying in Germany: parallel to their studies, students are entitled to work 120 full or 240 half days per (calendar) year. Anything beyond this requires the approval of the immigration authorities and the Federal Employment Agency (Section 16, para. 3 of the German Residence Act). In such cases, students will have to apply for a work permit from the immigration authorities.

This legislation does not apply to compulsory internships and part-time student jobs (work as a tutor, student assistant, etc.).

7. Extension of Residence permit / Visa

As an international student, you must also adhere to the standard period of study specified in the respective study and examination regulations of your study programme. Should your residence permit/ visa expire before the end of your studies, you are obliged to apply for an extension at the immigration office responsible for your place of residence in good time (i.e. 1-2 months before the end of the validity period).

You can submit an online application for extension at the Nordhausen Foreigners' Registration Office here.
Please carefully read and follow the information and instructions exactly as given in the application section.

We recommend that you upload the following documents as a proof of your studies:

  • The most recent certificate of study from the QISPOS system
  • The most recent and complete certificate of your study and examination achievements (transcript of records) from the QISPOS system (including examination cancellations and failed attempts)
  • If applicable, certificate of registration for the Bachelor's or Master's thesis
    For external Master's theses: Name and contact details of the Master's thesis supervisor, internship/(Master's) employment contract if applicable

Please note: The International Office is unable to issue any study progress certificates or statements on your study progress. The decision to extend your residence permit and its duration lies soley upon the responsible immigration office -NOTthe International Office of  University of Applied Sciences Nordhausen.