Long-term study fees - fees for exceeding the standard period of study
Thuringian universities are required to charge fees for students who exceed the standard period of study in accordance with Section 4 (1) of the Thuringian Higher Education Fees and Charges Act (ThürHGEG) in the version published on December 21, 2006 (GVBl S 601), last amended by Article 12 of the Act of June 03, 2018 (GVBl. S. 229).
Accordingly, Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences (HSN) charges fees in the amount of €500 for each additional semester of students who exceed the standard period of study of a degree program leading to a first professional qualification or a consecutive degree program by more than 4 semesters.
All semesters completed up to this point are tuition-free.
A number of special regulations take into account the special situation of students. In this way, particular attention is paid to the social situation of students who are justifiably unable to pay the fees in full or in part.
Legal basis for the levying of long-term tuition fees
The relevant legal basis is the Thuringian Higher Education Fees and Charges Act (ThürHGEG) in the version published on December 21, 2006 (GVBl. p. 601), last amended by Article 12 of the Act of June 03, 2018 (GVBl. p. 229)
§ 4 - Fees for exceeding the standard period of study (ThürHGEG)
(1) The institutions of higher education shall charge students fees in the amount of 500 euros for each semester by which the standard period of study of a course of study leading to a first degree qualifying the student for a profession or of a bachelor's and consecutive master's degree program is exceeded by more than four semesters.
(2) The standard period of study shall be determined in accordance with the respective examination or licensing regulations of the currently selected degree program. In the case of consecutive courses of study within the meaning of § 50 Para. 3 Sentence 1 ThürHG, the total standard period of study of the first completed course of study and of the consecutive Master's course of study shall be taken as a basis. In the case of second studies, in deviation from sentence 1, the standard periods of study of the currently selected study program and the successfully completed first study program are added together, if 1. the study of two study programs is required by professional law for the attainment of the desired professional degree, or 2. proof is provided of a degree from the first study program that is far above the average of the examination year.
A second course of study within the meaning of sentence 3 shall be deemed to be a second or further undergraduate course of study following a university degree completed at a university within the area of application of the Basic Law.
(3) All periods of study at institutions of higher education within the area of application of the Basic Law shall be taken into account for the purpose of charging fees pursuant to paragraph 1; a one-time change of course of study up to the completion of the second semester as well as semesters of leave of absence shall not be taken into account. Part-time study periods shall be counted accordingly and rounded down to full semesters. Within the framework of the standard period of study, this shall only apply insofar as its assessment does not already take into account part-time study.
(4) At the request of the student, the obligation to pay fees pursuant to paragraph 1 shall be deferred by periods of 1. actual care of a child within the meaning of Section 1, Paragraph 1, Sentence 1, No. 2 and Paragraph 3 of the Federal Parental Allowance and Parental Leave Act (Bundeselterngeld- und Elternzeitgesetz) in the version of January 27, 2015 (BGBl. I, p. 33), as amended from time to time, until the child reaches the age of 14, but no more than until the student reaches twice the standard period of study, 2. care of a close relative within the meaning of Section 7, Paragraph 3 Nursing Time Act (PflegeZG) of May 28, 2008 (BGBl. I p. 874 - 896), as amended, insofar as the need for nursing care within the meaning of § 3 para. 2 Nursing Time Act (PflegeZG) is proven, however, at most until twice the standard period of study is reached, and 3. active participation in university committees, insofar as this is not counted towards the standard period of study in accordance with § 52 para. 5 sentence 1 ThürHG under the relevant provisions in the university statutes, however, at most by two semesters.
(5) The obligation to pay fees according to paragraph 1 does not apply to periods of leave of absence or to periods during which the student receives benefits according to the Federal Training Assistance Act. In the case of simultaneous enrollment in two or more degree programs, the fee shall be paid only once; the periods of the degree program with the longest standard period of study shall be taken as a basis.
(6) The fee shall be waived in part or in full upon application in individual cases if its collection would lead to undue hardship. Undue hardship is generally deemed to exist in the case of 1. the effects of a disability or chronic or serious illness which prolong the period of study, 2. the consequences of being a victim of a crime which prolong the period of study, or 3. an economic hardship in the immediate vicinity of the last section of the final examination. Sentence 1 applies accordingly if, due to special circumstances of the individual case, charging fees would represent an unreasonable hardship for the student.
§ 5 - Duty to provide information(THürHGEG)
Applicants for a study place as well as students are obliged to submit declarations about the university semesters and study half-years they have completed as well as about the examination of the prerequisites according to § 4. At the request of the university, suitable documents must be submitted for this purpose. If necessary, the higher education institutions may demand and accept an affirmation in lieu of an oath. Students who fail to comply with these obligations within a period set by the university must pay a fee in accordance with § 4, paragraph 1.
- Leaflet Legal basis(PDF)61 KB
- Leaflet Explanations(PDF)90 KB
Forms required, if any
- Request for remission due to hardship(PDF)56 KB
- Declaration of economic hardship(PDF)62 KB
- Display of facts(PDF)56 KB
A payment of the fees is only due when you have received a fee notice by mail! Please use the SEPA procedure for the transfer from now on.
We kindly ask you to transfer the long-term study fees to us using the following account details.
Please note the current reason for payment on the transfer, which is indicated on your fee notice or the current reminder letter (the reason for payment changes every semester).
Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences
DE47 8205 0000 3004 4443 23