Network technology and network operation District heating
Studying in the field of network technology and network operation for district heating means, after successful completion, being able to assume responsibility for reliable and economical execution of tasks in project planning and network planning, operational management and maintenance in the field of action of district heating.
In the qualification framework for the acquisition and safeguarding of technical action competence for specialists and executives (QRT) in the electricity, district heating, gas and water supply in the levels D1 "District heating specialist" and E1 "Technical executive district heating supply systems" published by the Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce (DIHK) and developed by the associations AGFW, DVGW, VDE/FFN and BG ETEM, this certificate course is recommended as a recognized further training measure.
In its implementation, the certificate course relies on an intensive combination of theoretical and practical teaching. The current discourse is experienced in seminars, lectures, exercise units and laboratory applications of the scientific as well as practical content. All lecturers are proven experts in their field of teaching and have been involved in the development of the course content from the very beginning.
All facts at a glance
Certificate of the Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences as well as of the AGFW e.V. and the TEAG Academy.
Recognized advanced training in the levels D1 "District heating specialist" and E1 "Technical manager for district heating supply systems
Standard period of study/ scope of services:
2 semesters/ 184 teaching units/ 13 ECTS
Possible at any time
- first university degree with at least 1 year of professional experience
- professional qualification as master craftsman/technician with at least 3 years of professional experience
max. 20 participants per course
Start of study:
4,900 € incl. semester fee
Details about the study program
Module 1 - Basics of district heating supply
- Fundamentals of technology, market and legal framework of heat generation.
- Technologies of conventional and CO2-free heat generation
- Design of heat generation plants and heat storage systems
- Economic efficiency of heat generation
- Regulatory framework for district heating suppliers and customers
Module 2 - District heating networks - design, planning and construction
- Fundamentals of heat distribution
- design and dimensioning of district heating networks
- complex design of networks with software support
- Planning principles for network construction measures
- requirements for civil engineering and pipeline construction as well as documentation
Module 3 - Pipeline construction practice
- Components and manufacture of district heating pipes
- Teaching demonstration of socket installation
- Leakage warning systems
- Site excursion
- Exchange of experience with site managers on completed projects
Module 4 - Operation and maintenance of FW networks
- Commissioning, decommissioning and switching operations.
- Work on FW networks
- Fault handling and leak detection
- Maintenance strategies, rehabilitation planning
- Optimization of network operation
Module 5 - House connection, customer installations, heat metering
- House connection technology - technology and law (TAB)
- House connection stations (HAST) - design, planning, commissioning and operation incl. troubleshooting and operational optimization
- Basics of energy metering technology and legal aspects of metering
- Technology and practice of heat metering
- Digitalization, monitoring and load control of HASTs
Module 6 Water chemistry / water quality
- District heating water treatment - planning principles and procedures
- Technical rules in the field of district heating
- Corrosion mechanisms and conditioning measures
- Laboratory practical course water analysis incl. evaluation of results
- Monitoring and supervision of water quality
Module 7 Occupational safety, environmental and health protection
- Technical safety management, FW 1000, FW 601, regulations of the AGFW
- Basics of occupational safety and environmental protection as well as fire and explosion protection
- Hazardous materials, hazardous goods, PPE
- Testing of work equipment, safe execution of work
- Company duties and liability, risk assessment, instructions
For detailed information on the modules, please refer to the module overview. An overview of the contents of the individual study months can be found in the study plan. Both can be found in the download area of this page.
The certificate course Network Technology and Network Operation District Heating is aimed at all specialists from the fields of energy and water supply as well as supply and heating technology, who want to further educate themselves specifically in the field of heat networks (also applies to so-called cold networks and cold networks) in order to be able to work responsibly in this area.
The study program is also addressed to specialists from engineering offices (with planning, project planning and construction management tasks), to managers who have to make decisions in the field of district heating, but have a non-technical or non-industry-specific education.
In order to be admitted to the certificate program Network Engineering and Network Operation District Heating, the following qualifications are required:
- Professionally qualified as at least a first university degree (Dipl., Dipl. FH, Bachelor), with at least one year of professional experience.
- Professionally qualified master craftsman / technician with at least 3 years of professional experience
If you have any questions about the admission requirements, just give us a call. Our university team will be happy to advise you by telephone on +49 3631 420-156 and in person on site.
The modules are completed with examinations (oral / written / presentation / term paper) and graded.
Credit points are awarded for each successfully completed module, reflecting the average learning effort. One credit point corresponds to a learning effort of approximately 25 time hours. The amount of work required depends on the number of ECTS points in the individual modules. With the awarding of credit points, the study achievements are internationally comparable and recognized.
During your studies you will acquire a total of13 credit points.
Start and duration of studies
The certificate courseNetwork Technology and Network Operation District Heating starts depending on the number of participants, so that a multiple execution within one year is also possible.
It comprises a total of 7 modules, which are completed in blocks of 2 to a maximum of 5 days each. The course is planned to be conducted partly in attendance and partly digitally.
For detailed information on the course of study, please refer to the current study plan for the respective year.
- Module Handbook(PDF)272 KB
- Application for admission(PDF)118 KB