The history of Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences already starts in 1906…
In 1906 a reform school was established on the vineyard grounds. During the First and the Second World War the school was used as a military hospital. Parts of the buildings were destroyed by a bomb attack on Nordhausen in April 1945.
In 1951 a college for agriculture was opened and started training engineers. After the German reunification in 1990, the engineer college became a member in the association of Universities of Applied Science in Thuringia. Other Universities of Applied Science in Erfurt, Jena and Schmalkalden were founded the following year.
The University of Applied Sciences Nordhausen on the grounds of the engineering college was founded in 1997.