One of the great challenges of the 21st century is to ensure a safe and environmentally sound energy supply in the context of an increasing global energy demand with dwindling fossil resources and accelerated climate change.
The international, English-language master's degree course Renewable Energy Systems is intended to contribute to the training of specialists for the necessary global restructuring of energy systems and thus contribute to the transfer of knowledge and experience. The degree program thus follows the global challenges of the future in rapidly changing energy markets.
Are you interested in taking part in designing our renewable energy future? Then join the master‘s degree course on Renewable Energy Systems at the University of Applied Sciences in Nordhausen.
During three semesters, all important aspects related to renewable energies will be addressed i.e.:
- What are existing and emerging technologies to harness renewable resources?
- How can they fulfill the demands for power, heat and fuels?
- How can we integrate renewable energies into existing energy systems?
- What benefit with respect to climate change, abatement of greenhouse gases and other environmental problems may be expected by strengthening renewable energies?
Master of Engineering (M.Eng.)
Standard period of study/Credits(ECTS = European Credit Transfer and Acumulation System)
- 4 semster/120 ECTS-Credits (in case you have a Bachelor's degree with 180 ECTS)
- 3 semester/90 ECTS-Credits (in case you have a Bachelor's degree with 210 ECTS)
- Winter semester 2022/23 (in case you have a Bachelor's degree equivalent to 180 ECTS)
- Summer semester 2023 (in case you have a Bachelor's degree equivalent to 210 ECTS)
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, process engineering, electrical engineering, mechatronics, physics, process engineering or related fields
- US-GPA above 2.5 (is equal to german grading system 2,5 or less)
- English proficiency (TOEFL iBT 79, IELTS 6.0 or completed Bachelor's programme in English)
- APS (students from China and Vietnam)
The application period with course start in winter semester 2022/23 and summer semester 2023 is: 1st of January 2022 until 30th April 2022.
(German language skills are not mandatory, but preferable and beneficially, in order to come along in Germany and/or find part time job)
Applicants with an INTERNATIONAL university entrance qualification please click here to start the online application.
Please select “Winter semester 2021/22" in the selection field - "Semester" in order to find the study program "Renewable Energy Systems (M.Eng.)".
Applicants with a GERMAN higher education entrance qualification please use the following button for the online application:
Climate change, depleting fossil resources, increasing costs for energy carrier - these key words illustrate one of the main challenges of the 21st century: fulfilling the increasing global energy demand and securing a reliable, sustainable and affordable energy supply, as energy is one of the backbones to economic growth and social welfare.
The ongoing discussion on the consequences of an increasing demand for fossil fuels and the necessity of abating greenhouse gas emissions indicates that our exposure to energy reached a crossroad: either continuing as usual or postpone the (already known) consequences to succeeding generations or acting now. Acting now means: accelerated dissemination of renewable energies, as renewables, like wind and solar energy, hydropower, geothermal energy and biomass are abundant resources. Additionally, as they are locally available, they open the road for fulfilling the existing and growing regional or local energy demand in an environmental friendly, sustainable and economical way.
However, disseminating renewable energies often demand for a new way of thinking. Constructing and operating renewable energy systems as well as integrating them into existing energy systems, be it power, heat or fuels, is a complex task, demanding for highly skilled and trained experts.
Due to the expected dynamic growth of the international renewable energy sector, markets for appropriate technologies will expand rapidly. Consequently the global demand for highly qualified engineers in renewable
energies is increasing constantly, thus offering excellent career prospects for graduates of the Master’s degree course Renewable Energy Systems both nationally and internationally.
Typical examples of employment opportunities can be found in research and development in industry and research institutions, as well as in the design, construction, operation or management of renewable energy systems, e.g. as
- research and development engineer
- project engineer
- project manager
- production engineer
- technical employee in private utility companies or public administrations
- research assistant in research institutions.
The close contacts that the teaching staff possesses with the industrial firms and research institutes ensure that the training is practically oriented and is up-to-date with the course contents.
The Master’s degree in Renewable Energy Systems also qualifies its holder to pursue a PhD.
The standard period of study is three semesters. In the first two semesters, courses take place at the university; the third semester is planned for the preparation of the master thesis.
(The attendance in the qualification semester is required for students with a Bachelor’s degree equivalent to 180 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System)).
- Basics in Electrical Engineering
- Basics in Thermal Engineering
- Introduction in Renewable Energy Systems
- Scientific Practice
- Cultural Studies and Scientific Writing
- German as a foreign language
lectures and exercises:
- Bioenergy I: Solid Biomass
- Photovoltaic Systems
- Wind Power Plants
- Project Management
- Non-technical module: German as Foreign Langugage
- Elective course 1
lectures and exercises:
- Bioenergy Systems II: Biogas and Liquid Biofuels
- Solar Thermal Lab
- Scientific project
- Life Cycle Analysis of Renewable Energy Systems
- Elective course 2
- Master thesis und Master colloquium (Presentation and Defense)
Elective courses (Selection list, more courses might be offered)
- Ocean energy
- Fuel Cell Technology
- Numerical methods in heat and mass transfer
- Flyer_Renewable_Energy_Systems.pdfThe internationally recognized academic degree of Master of Science (M.Eng.) will be conferred on students by the University of Applied Sciences Nordhausen, upon successful completion of the programme.550 KB
General information about the degree course and the application process:
Dean of studies: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Joachim Fischer
Coordinator of the study programme: Ron Schenke
Tel.: +49 3631 420-132