How to apply > full-time international students

Click here for the application deadlines for our courses.

International applicants can apply in advance of the standard application dates. Since language courses or a preparatory college often have to be attended first, we recommend you apply as early as possible.

The application procedure depends primarily on the country where you acquired your university entrance qualification (secondary school leaving qualification, university aptitude test, university entrance exam, proof of successfully completed studies) or your university degree.

University entrance qualification/degree from Germany

For those with a German university entrance qualification or a degree from a German university, as well as those who have successfully completed the university aptitude test at a German preparatory college, applications can be sent directly to the Student Service Centre (SSZ) of Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences. Relevant proof must be provided in support of your application.

University entrance qualification/degree from another country

Applicants with an international secondary school leaving qualification or university degree or a degree acquired abroad should apply using the online portal uni-assist, where your application will be reviewed by experts trained to evaluate international academic degrees., Your documents will then be forwarded to Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences, where a final decision will be taken on admission. It will cost you 75 euros to have your documents reviewed through uni-assist (30 euros each for multiple applications).

The following application documents are required:
(Not applicable to the English-taught Master's programmes "Renewable Energy Systems", "Environmental Recycling Technology" and "Computer Engineering for IoT Systems". Please check the information published on the respective websites of the study programmes for the required application documents.)

  1. Duly completed online application on uni-assist
  2. university entrance qualification (school leaving certificate, university entrance exam in the home country, proof of successfully completed studies or university degree)
  3. If applicable, Translations of the above mentioned documents in case they are not in German, English or French
  4. If applicable, APS certificate (applicants from China, Vietnam or India)
  5. If applicable, university aptitude test certificate or proof of attendance at a preparatory college
  6. Certificates of proficiency in the language of instruction (minimum requirement for German: DSH 2, Test DaF 4x4 points, telc C1 Hochschule test, Major or Minor German Language Certificate (GDS or KDS) or Central Advanced Language Test (ZOP) of the Goethe Institute; minimum requirement for English: TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.0)

If your desired semester start date has not been activated yet on uni-assist, simply select an earlier semester start date. This can still be changed after admission.

We accept fully online applications with simple copies. All above mentioned application documents can be submitted online via the Uni-Assist portal.

The processing fee of Uni-Assist can be paid by Credit Card or bank transfer (check uni-assist for further details)

What happens next?

A decision on the equivalence of your educational qualification is taken on the basis of the assessment proposals of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (

If your qualification is deemed equivalent to the German qualification and proof of satisfactory knowledge of the language of instruction has been provided, you will be accepted for the course.

Applicants who have at least B1 language proficiency will be accepted for the course under the condition that they are able to provide C1 language proficiency before commencing their studies. For a fee, applicants can take a language course at the Lernstudio Nordhausen, for instance. Prospective students may also take the DSH exam as externals at the State Preparatory College in Nordhausen.

If your qualification is not fully equivalent to the German qualification, you will be accepted conditionally and will be required to take the standardised foreign applicants’ aptitude test for academic study in the Federal Republic of Germany (Feststellungsprüfung, FSP) before commencing your studies. Preparation for the aptitude test is normally carried out in a one-year course at the State Preparatory College in Nordhausen.

    Applications currently need to be submitted only online via uni-assist. In case of admission, you should hand in your original application documents when you enrol.

    Nevertheless, we reserve the right to ask for your documents also during the ongoing application procedure.