Click here for the application deadlines for our courses.
International applicants can apply in advance of the standard application dates. Since language courses or a preparatory college often have to be attended first, we recommend you apply as early as possible.
The application procedure depends primarily on the country where you acquired your university entrance qualification (secondary school leaving qualification, university aptitude test, university entrance exam, proof of successfully completed studies) or your university degree.
For those with a German university entrance qualification or a degree from a German university, as well as those who have successfully completed the university aptitude test at a German preparatory college, applications can be sent directly to the Student Service Centre (SSZ) of Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences. Relevant proof must be provided in support of your application.
Applicants with an international secondary school leaving qualification or university degree or a degree acquired abroad should apply using the online portal uni-assist, where your application will be reviewed by experts trained to evaluate international academic degrees., Your documents will then be forwarded to Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences, where a final decision will be taken on admission. It will cost you 75 euros to have your documents reviewed through uni-assist (30 euros each for multiple applications).
The following application documents are required:
- Duly completed online application on www.uni-assist.de
- Notarised copy of the university entrance qualification (school leaving certificate, university entrance exam in the home country, proof of successfully completed studies or university degree)
- Translation of the university entrance qualification into German (French and English are accepted) – Please submit the original certified translation. Copies will not be accepted.
- If applicable, APS certificate (applicants from China or Vietnam)
- If applicable, university aptitude test certificate or proof of attendance at a preparatory college
- Certificates of proficiency in the language of instruction (minimum requirement for German: DSH 2, Test DaF 4x4 points, telc C1 Hochschule test, Major or Minor German Language Certificate (GDS or KDS) or Central Advanced Language Test (ZOP) of the Goethe Institute; minimum requirement for English: TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.0)
- Proof of bank transfer of the processing fee or completed credit card payment form (see uni-assistfor further details)
- A copy of your passport
- A passport photo (for the application form)
- A list of priorities for applications to more than one university
If your desired semester start date has not been activated yet on uni-assist, simply select an earlier semester start date. This can still be changed after admission.
Application documents are to be sent directly to uni-assist: uni-assist e.V., D-11507 Berlin
What happens next?
A decision on the equivalence of your educational qualification is taken on the basis of the assessment proposals of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (http://anabin.kmk.org/).
If your qualification is deemed equivalent to the German qualification and proof of satisfactory knowledge of the language of instruction has been provided, you will be accepted for the course.
Applicants who do not yet have adequate language proficiency will be accepted for the course under the condition that they are able to provide proof of their language proficiency before commencing their studies. For a fee, applicants with a working knowledge of German can take a language course at the University of Erfurt, for instance. Prospective students may also take the DSH exam as externals at the State Preparatory College in Nordhausen.
If your qualification is not fully equivalent to the German qualification, you will be accepted conditionally and will be required to take the standardised foreign applicants’ aptitude test for academic study in the Federal Republic of Germany (Feststellungsprüfung, FSP) before commencing your studies. Preparation for the aptitude test is normally carried out in a one-year course at the State Preparatory College in Nordhausen.