Visa & Insurance for Studying Abroad

On this page you will find information about visa and insurances for your stay abroad.


Students from EU countries do not need a visa to study in an ERASMUS partner country. Only valid travel documents are required for entry (eg passport). This rule does not apply to staying in Turkey.

For stays outside the European Union, a visa for study purposes is usually required. The entry with a tourist visa and the conversion of the visa into a student visa on site is generally not possible. Depending on the host country, the processing of the visa application may take up to several weeks. Therefore, please remember to apply early for your visa!

Detailed information on the entry requirements of the respective countries can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office. Please note also the medical information for your destination country. Plan enough time, some vaccinations have to be repeated after few weeks or months in order to provide reliable protection.


Students who wish to study abroad need to take care of adequate insurance cover.

Please note that you (on your own) are responsible for a sufficient insurance cover during your stay abroad. Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences or any other institution involved in the implementation of your exchange / funding program are not liable for the consequences of non-insurance or underinsurance.

Therefore, please start looking for information in good time. Check with your insurance company, which services are covered abroad over which period and, if necessary, conclude supplementary insurance. There are a large number of insurance providers with special packages for the purpose of studying abroad.

For example, the German Acadmic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers insurance packages for students who are being sponsored via Erasmus + or PROMOS. Detailed information and further links can be found on the DAAD website.

Health and accident insurance

Within the European Union the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is valid. In addition, Germany has concluded social security agreements with various countries outside the EU. In these cases, students need a certificate of entitlement from their German health insurance. However, we point out that the existing insurance coverage may be insufficient, especially if a return transport or special medical interventions are needed. As a rule, only the medically necessary treatments are covered. Therefore, a supplementary private health insurance can be useful.

For a stay outside the EU and in countries that do not have a social security agreement, students must take care of private health insurance for study purpose. A simple travel health insurance for holiday travel is usually not sufficient for a longer study or internship abroad.


Liability insurance

A liability insurance covers typical risks of everyday life, such as the loss or damage of things. There are different liability rules in the individual countries. Please clarify with your insurance whether and to what extent your destination country is covered. Also note that in some insurance policies, foreign cover is limited to a certain length of stay (eg 6-8 weeks) and therefore is not sufficient for study abroad.