Are you interested in social work? You find working with people in different life situations exciting and want to learn more about the social connections between individual development and social conditions?
Then the study of health and social work is the right choice for you. Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive state recognition as a social worker/social pedagogue. The special profile results from a focus on the areas of health and rehabilitation. You will acquire skills to accompany people and families across different age groups in difficult social and health situations and to develop coping strategies with them.
For the coming years, a significant increase in the demand for services by qualified professionals of health-related courses of study can be observed.
After completing the Health and Social Services (B.A.) program, you will be qualified for all fields of social work.
The degree program prepares you for work in outpatient, day-care and inpatient health and social service facilities, such as hospitals, rehabilitation clinics, counseling centers, schools and child and youth welfare organizations. Join us and help shape social work in the health and social services sector!
Students acquire the professional knowledge and action skills to care for people with social integration problems, which occur in particular in connection with illness, disability and old age, and to accompany them in the self-determined change of their burdened life situations.
Contents in the 1st study section (1st-3rd semester)
- Fields of activity and basics of social work
- Introduction to scientific work
- Specialized English / other foreign languages possible
- Sociology, social policy and social management
- Basics of empirical social research
- Law I and II
- Social work science and praxeology
- Psychology in social work
- Participation and participation impairments
- Theory-Practice-Project I
Contents in the 2nd study section (4th-7th semester)
- Qualitative social research in social work
- Concepts of action in social work
- Specialization I (elective)
- International Studies: International project or 2nd language
- Theory-Practice-Project II
- Semester of professional practice (state recognition)
- Area of specialization II (elective subject)
- Quantitative social research in empirical social research
- Key situations in social work
- Solution-oriented counseling
- Elective seminars
- Social work-mental health and addiction
- Bachelor module
Degree: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Health and Social Services/Health and Social Services.
The degree program in Health and Social Services entitles the student to acquire state recognition. For Thuringia, this is regulated in the Law on the Recognition of Social Pedagogical Professions (Thuringian Social Professions Recognition Law). Although the regulation of state recognition is a matter for the states, it applies nationwide. In Thuringia, the (technical) universities are authorized to award state recognition. Prerequisites for this are an integrated internship of at least 100 days and the successful completion of studies. Since state recognition can be denied in the event of a final conviction, a police clearance certificate must be enclosed with the application. The certificate of good conduct must be submitted in the original and should not be older than three months.
If you are planning to study for a Master's degree at our university, you should apply for state recognition (for technical reasons) before enrolling for the Master's degree.
Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences is officially approved by the state of Thuringia as a state-recognized university. This guarantees the equivalence of the degrees with degrees of state universities.
The study programme was accredited by the Accreditation, Certification and Quality Assurance Institute (ACQUIN) until 30.09.2025. It was awarded the seal of approval of the Accreditation Council.
You find working with people in different life situations exciting and want to learn more about the social connections between individual development and social conditions?
Then the study of health and social work is the right choice for you. Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive state recognition as a social worker/social pedagogue. The special profile results from a focus on the areas of health and rehabilitation. You will acquire skills to accompany people and families across different age groups in difficult social and health-related situations and to develop coping strategies with them.
- general higher education entrance qualification (Abitur), entrance qualification for a university of applied sciences or an equivalent school-leaving qualification.
- Successful training in an educational, social or medical profession or a preliminary internship of at least twelve weeks in an educational, social or nursing organization.
The achievements are evaluated according to the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS). With the award of credit points, the study achievements are internationally comparable and recognized.
Credit points are awarded for each successfully completed module, reflecting the average learning effort. One credit point corresponds to a learning effort of approximately 29 time hours. The amount of work required depends on the number of ECTS points in the individual modules.
During your studies you will acquire a total of210 credit points.
The Bachelor's program in Health and Social Care begins on 01.10. winter semester) of each year. The application period for the winter semester is from 24.04. to 15.07 of each year.
The study program in Health and Social Care comprises 7 semesters (full-time) or 14 semesters (part-time) - depending on how much time you have to spend on learning. It is possible to switch between the full- and part-time study options during the course of the program.
Currently, there is a high demand for qualified professionals throughout the health and social care sector. The labor market offers a high level of employment security for all social and health care professions.
The degree program prepares students, for example, for jobs in daycare centers, all areas of child and youth welfare, counseling centers, school social work, and all social services in hospitals and the justice system.
In addition, there is the possibility of further qualification in a master's degree following the bachelor's degree, at Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences consecutively in the master's degree program in Therapeutic Social Work.
There are no tuition fees for studying at Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences.
You pay the semester fee for the first time when you receive the notification of enrollment.
Please also inform yourself about the funding opportunities for a bachelor's degree at ist-hochschule.de.
- High school diploma or certificate of university entrance qualification
- Health insurance company and membership number
- Information on vocational training and employment (if available)
- Data on any service performed (including military service, civilian service, voluntary social year, voluntary ecological year) in the form of a service certificate
- Information on previous periods of study (incl. certificate of de-registration)
- Details of any internships you have completed
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae