One of the great challenges of the 21st century is to ensure a safe and environmentally sound energy supply in the context of an increasing global energy demand with dwindling fossil resources and accelerated climate change.
This fully English-taught Master's degree programme's goal is to educate and train specialists for the necessary global restruction of energy systems and thus contribute to the transfer of knowledge and experience.
Are you interested in taking part in designing our renewable energy future?
In three/four semesters, all important aspects related to renewable energies, global challenges of the future in rapidly changing energy markets and possible solutions will be addressed i.e.:
- What are existing and emerging technologies to harness renewable resources?
- How can they fulfill the demands for power, heat and fuels?
- How can we integrate renewable energies into existing energy systems?
- What benefits with respect to climate change, abatement of greenhouse gases and other environmental problems may be expected by strengthening renewable energies?
What are you waiting for? Join the master‘s degree course on Renewable Energy Systems at the University of Applied Sciences in Nordhausen!
Due to the expected dynamic growth of the international renewable energy sector, markets for appropriate technologies will expand rapidly. Consequently the global demand for highly qualified engineers in renewable
energies is increasing constantly, thus offering excellent career prospects for graduates of the Master’s degree course Renewable Energy Systems both nationally and internationally.
Typical examples of employment opportunities can be found in research and development (R&D) in industry and research institutions, as well as in the design, construction, operation or management of renewable energy systems, e.g. as
- research and development engineer
- project engineer
- project manager
- production engineer
- technical employee in private utility companies or public administrations
- research assistant in research institutions.
The close contacts that the teaching staff possesses with companies and research institutes ensure that the training is practically oriented and the course contents are up-to-date.
Our Master’s degree in Renewable Energy Systems also qualifies its holder to pursue a PhD after succesful graduation.
The standard period of study is three or four semesters (see blow). In the qualification semester, students will be prepared for their studies in first and second semester.
Third semester is intended for the preparation and writing of the master thesis. Master thesis projects can be carried out either in the university (in.RET, Institute of Renewable Energy), research institutes or private enterprises.
Qualification Semester (Winter Semester; mandatory for students with a Bachelor degree equivalent to 180 ECTS):
- Basics in Electrical Engineering
- Basics in Thermal Engineering
- Introduction in Renewable Energy Systems
- Scientific Practice
- Cultural Studies and Scientific Writing
- German as a foreign language
1st semester (Summer Semester)
lectures and exercises:
- Bioenergy I: Solid Biomass
- Photovoltaic Systems
- Wind Power Plants
- Project Management
- Non-technical module: German as Foreign Langugage
- Elective course No. 1 (check below)
2nd semester (Winter Semester)
lectures and exercises:
- Bioenergy Systems II: Biogas and Liquid Biofuels
- Solar Thermal Lab
- Scientific project
- Life Cycle Analysis of Renewable Energy Systems
- Elective course No. 2 (check below)
3rd semester (Summer Semester)
- Master thesis und Master colloquium (Presentation and Defense)
Selection of possible Elective courses
- Ocean energy
- Fuel Cell Technology
- Numerical Methods in Heat and Mass Transfer
- and more... (subject of availability and change)
We accept online-only applications. You do not need to provide certified copies or translations (as long as the documents are in German, English or French).
As a minimum please provide the following documents:
- High school diploma/certificate of higher education entrance qualification
- Bachelor degree certificate (proof that Bachelor degree was succesfully completed)
- Complete Transcript of Records (with overall grade)
- Proof of English proficiency (TOEFL iBT 79, IELTS 6.0 or Bachelor's Medium of Instruction is English)
IMPORTANT: Documents can only be submitted through Uni-Assist before the application deadline.
Since Hochschule Nordhausen cannot influence the visa process in any way, all prospective applicants are advised to carefully check the visa requirements, appointment waiting and processing times at the reponsible German mission abroad.
Applicants with an INTERNATIONAL Bachelor degree please click the button below to start the online application.
Please select “Wintersemester 2023/2024" in the selection field "Semester" in order to find the study program "Renewable Energy Systems (M.Eng.)".
Applicants with a GERMAN Bachelor degree please use the following button for the online application:
- Flyer_Renewable_Energy_Systems.pdfThe internationally recognized academic degree of Master of Science (M.Eng.) will be conferred on students by the University of Applied Sciences Nordhausen, upon successful completion of the programme.550 KB